THE AMERICAN SLAVERY PROJECT
• Is a theatrical response to revisionism in American discourse about enslavement and its aftermath.
• Creates original work. "Unheard Voices" is a monologue play with music, based on the burials at The African Burial Ground. It brings to life anonymous African descended New Yorkers from colonial times.
• Explores eugenics in the era of Jim Crow. "The Haunted Files" was created from the actual files of the Eugenics Society.
• Supports African-American playwrights who write about the eras with readings and developmental workshops.
• Creates conversation in the community.
• Provides educational workshops for students and adults.
• Makes vital connections between our past and today.